Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Customer Service - 11/05

Like riding a bicycle, working at the store seems to be one of those skills that hold some kind of cellular memory. I am using the cash register without having to concentrate on every movement. There have been some procedural changes since I last worked there, but I'll catch on to them. Eventually. Fortunately, my unfamiliarity with them isn't a problem and, so far, no one has had a fit about any of it.

The only one that may cause me some adjustment is that the mall has abandoned their paper gift certificates in favor of electronic gift cards. Our ancient registers can't handle one of the payment options, but that shouldn't be too much of a hardship for our customers. Let me amend that. Most of our customers will manage just fine, covering their disappointment with false holiday cheer, buoyed by our abject apologies and subsequent groveling for their forgiveness for being such a pathetic, backwards store.

There are, however, going to be problems with the Entitled. Yes, the dreaded Entitled. You know them. They are the people who believe that the Universe revolves around them. They deserve to be first in line, are entitled to special services and should be honored and adored for the amazing and priviledged beings that they are.

These exceptional creatures are the ones that you will hear saying:

"What do you mean you're out of Weeds of East Podunk? You had plenty when I was in here two months ago."
"How long is this going to take?" Usually accompanied by foot tapping and watch adjusting.
"What kind of a store is this, that you won't hold this calendar for me until they go down to $1.00!"
"What do you mean you can't order this by *insert any unreasonable time frame*?"
"My husband made me a calendar holder for my birthday, but it's a little small, so could you cut this one down for me?
"My card was declined? Just put it through, it'll be fine."
"I want this calendar, but need the date spaces a little smaller/larger/narrower/whatever."
"Why don't you have more than six different hamster calendars?"
"I never used this calendar from last year, and I want you to exchange it for this year's."
"What do you mean I need I.D. for my check? Do you know who I am?"

Yeah, I know who you are. The people in line behind you know who you are. Everybody knows exactly who you are. We'd tell you, but you can't use that kind of language in public.

And, heaven forbid that anything go awry, like the register runs out of receipt tape or they have to wait until you open a roll of quarters to give them their change. Help, help, the sky is falling!!!!

As my friend, K, says, "These humans, what a caution. Glad I'm not one of them."

But, all of those people don't matter a bit when you compare them to the majority of customers who understand that everyone is doing their best, no matter on which side of the counter you find yourself. They are pleased when you help them find what they want, or more importantly, what they need, even if they weren't sure exactly what that was. They are pleasantly surprised, when you are unable to supply what they need and refer them to another store that does have what they need. They are appreciative, and often shocked, when you take them to the item that they want, instead of just waving your hand in the general direction and telling them "It's over there." They are relieved when you assure them, while cleaning up the mess, that it's no problem that their toddler dumped a shelf of titles for the third time. They are delighted when you count back their change for them, instead of just tossing the crumbled mess into their hand.

To be honest, I'm back at work because my savings are gone and I need the money, but the main reason that I'm back in the store is the people. I like the people with whom I work, even the lazy and the goofy. I like the customers, even the weird and the rude. Yes, even the worst of them, the angry, harried and cruel, because I know that their problem with me isn't about me or anything that I've done, and it started long before they walked through my doorway. Whatever their bad behavior, I trust that somewhere inside them is a person who, in that moment, is doing the best that they can. There are times when that is a real stretch of faith, but I think that it's worth the effort. I can't solve their personal problems and I don't even want to try. My goal and hope is that they leave their encounter with me at least no worse off than when they came into my store.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?