Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Hot for Santa - 11/05

I am one lucky girl. No doubt about it. The Universe is smiling down on me, and I am basking in the wonder of it all.

Today, I had a mystical experience. Shortly after the mall opened for business, I heard a faint jingling of silvery bells that seemed to be coming closer. I turned and saw the Santa Procession. It was cute. Really cute. Santa, accompanied by his elf and helpers were coming towards me. As Santa approached, I enthusiastically waved and said "Hi, Santa!!!!" This is my usual greeting to the old fella, and today was no exception.

The one exception is that this is one delightful Santa. After I greeted him, he said "Hi" back and then asked me how I was today. I said that I was fine, and asked how he was. He said that he was fine, and then words came out of my mouth that I had never, ever spoken to another living being. As he came right up to me, I said, and I still can't believe it, "Santa, you sure are looking good today." He smiled and laughed and kept on walking past me.

I was stunned. Had I really said that to him? Yes. I did.

Don't get me wrong. I wasn't coming on to the old guy. I just couldn't help myself. He was, is, adorable. He is the absolutely perfect Santa. Everything you ever wanted him to be. And, there he was, in his Santa glory. Amazing.

Now, I don't know where I've been for the past couple of weeks that I've been working here in the belly of the beast, but his castle is right next to my store. Sort of. If I step out into the mall common area, there he is, right next to the weird kiosk guy.

Rosy cheeks. Fluffy, white beard. Velvety red and white suit. Twinkling eyes and loving smile. Belly like a bowl full of jelly. He is the whole package. If there is anyone who does not believe in Santa, well let me assure you, he is alive and well and making the world a better and jolly-er place. My faith in a kind and loving Universe has been bolstered and supported by the presence of this little guy in the red suit.

Today, despite being a Wednesday, was surprisingly and delightfully busy. I had plenty of customers and did almost three times the business that we usually do midweek. Yet, I found opportunities to wander closer to Santa and watch him spend time with all kinds of people.

He was so wonderful with the littlest, most wary children. He was patient and kind and supportive of the ones that were too frightened to approach him, talking gently to them from a distance and making them feel comfortable and safe. One little boy would not, despite his mother's insistence, approach Santa. The big guy just talked softly to him, asking him questions and really listening to the little boy's replies. All of a sudden, the boy ran to Santa and put out his arms to be picked up and happily settled himself onto Santa's lap, where he chattered away. I'm sure that I'm not the only person with teary eyes.

He was happy and jolly with the kids that couldn't wait to sit on his lap, and didn't, despite the line that often formed, rush any of the children to move on.

In those crystal moments, time seemed to stand still as Santa had all the time in the world to listen and talk to each of the children. The others, waiting in line, were content to wait their turns, knowing that Santa was waiting just for them, and that time would suspend it's forward movement while they shared their stories with him.

Today I experienced the kind of magic that special because of it's rarity. I look forward to many, many more opportunities to see Santa and watch him weave his spell over child and adult alike. And, over me. Yes, I admit it, unequivocally, without a doubt, I am hot for Santa.

If I can find the extra cash, I'm having my picture taken with him.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?