Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Sing along now... - 11/05

'Tis the season to be cranky, Fa La La La La, La La La La!

Three weeks before Thanksgiving, and the mall started playing holiday music. Huh? Granted, I'm less than an expert on malls, visiting them...well hardly ever. Except for when I'm working there, and I didn't take a step into one at all in the past year and a half.

So, it came as a huge surprise when I came to work last week Monday, and heard holiday tunes playing in the mall common areas. Sheesh. Sure, there was the occasional pop song, but HOLIDAY MUSIC???????

Is this a trend or some local aberration? Will they be playing "When Irish eyes are smiling" after New Year's? "Here comes Peter Cottontail" the week after? Where will the madness end?

Complaining about the mall music isn't something new for me. Years and years and years ago, they played Baroque music. Nice. I like Classical music, but the constant Baroque themes wore you down, I tell you, just wore you down! While I never shared this gripe with my friends in the mall office, not that they would have given a rip about my musical tastes, they did change the music that was broadcast.

I think that the change in musical selections had something to do with a change in the management company. Our mall is pretty old, and I'm sure that they, hip managers that they are/were, they knew just what kind of music would draw people to the mall, and keep them there while they spent and spent, doing their part to keep the local economy going. So, they began playing pop music. Most of their selections from that genre were pretty vapid, and easy to ignore. Except for two years ago when they had a limited play list and the songs recycled every fifteen minutes or so.

There quickly came a time when I thought that if I had to listen to Cher sing "Do you believe in love, whatever, whatever..." that I was going to go berserk, run amuck and be generally unpleasant.

This year, my trigger song is probably going to be "Happy Holidays." They must have played that darn song a thousand times yesterday. The only thing that made it bearable and funny is that the guy in the kiosk outside of my store started softly yelling "Holiday" all through the song, and afterwards. It still makes me laugh now. I just hope that I can hang on to my sense of humor for the rest of the season.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?